St. Anne's is a lovely stone church built in 1853 by Robert Flint and our story is one that continues today. We hope this look into our past will give you an idea of the deep community roots on which the foundation of our church is built. If you have information to add to our story please use the Contact Us form to tell us your part of our ongoing story.
Stone by Stone: A History of St. Anne's (Byron)
Chapter I - How the Church Began
Chapter II - Looking Back (currently under revision)
Chapter IIII - Construction of St. Anne's
Chapter IV - The Mystery Years
Chapter V - Rejuvenation
Chapter VI - The Next Thirty-three Years
Chapter VII - The Durnford Era - Part A
Chapter VIII - The Durnford Era - Part B
The Hunt Family - one of the area's early settlers
Life in Byron and St. Anne's - one parishioner's recollections
The history of our stained glass windows
A pioneer Christian had on his mind
A place to worship, and this he did find
Right here where we're standing: the Lord was willing,
Five acres were bought costing eight pounds & some shillings.
Many hands gathered stones with a mason, a Scot,
And proud were the families as they viewed what they bought.
Twenty years later, it looked pretty feeble,
Having been used by strange devout people.
Some of our grandsires began to rebuild,
With hard earned money from the fields that they tilled.
A family named Hall who owned a saw-mill,
Their names long remembered, helped the coffers to fill.
St. Anne's was now ready for its name & consecration,
Isaac Hellmuth, Huron's Bishop, came for the celebration.
Three short term rectors did duties at Glanworth,
Ten miles with a horse going back and forth.
Our long term rector - for thirty-one years,
was always on duty; vacations bored him to tears!
On a certain Good Friday, just after the service
The church roof blew off, making everyone nervous.
A few weeks later this practical guy (rector)
Was staining the ceiling from scaffold on high.
The grand climax to Mr. D's tenure,
Came in thirty-seven, in the month of September.
During the year, the things we acquired
New sanctuary and pews, so badly required.
Six beautiful windows and the new west wing,
Memorial furnishings, we lacked not a thing!
Downstairs in wartime, we made lots of jam,
A friend overseas found a jar labelled, "Byron, St. Anne's"
The following rector, John French by name,
Got a management board, soon after he came.
The Hyde Park Rectory got a good sprucing up,
Duplex envelopes and an organ that needn't be pumped!
Our first lay reader, Percy Simpson by name,
A wrought iron gate and a fence of the same.
Our gas furnace blew up, but our sexton survived,
Near the same time, the Joselyns arrived.
In 1950, a Rectory was planned --
Arnold Stoner was the builder, but others gave a hand.
Annual smorgasbords raised some money:
Also seed fairs and a play that was funny.
The greatest idea came along next,
"To feed the hungry" was our text.
Ken Smith was the one who led the way -
The Western Fair booth then came to stay.
Soon after that came our new parish hall
And "Every Member canvass" involved us all.
Our membership was growing fast,
On a Sunday, 164 average - would it last?
Railings at our chancel steps --
Rev. Reg & Helen, in memory we kept.
Bob Mills arrived, and we spent some cash -
Five acres, two houses - it did seem quite rash.
A few years back, we had added ten feet
To the church, to the north made our entrance look neat!
After we built the Heritage room,
We gleefully felt we were in a great boom.
Morley Pinkney had come with plans for improvements,
An office, new cupboards, up-to-date equipments.
Coffers kept filled by generous donors,
Made us feel like we'd hit some homers.
Now we're thinking of those who need assistance,
To use our parish hall, we trust there's no resistance.
As our special senior turns the sod,
With junior helpers and the Grace of God.
What We Offer
Founded circa 1832 and incorporated as an Anglican Cemetery in 1853, St. Anne’s Cemetery has a long history of serving the Byron community. St. Anne’s Anglican Cemetery is an active cemetery registered with the Cemeteries Branch of the Department of Business and Consumer Affairs, Toronto. Sales of full size and cremation only graves are limited to the active members of St. Anne’s Vestry or, on approval, their immediate family. There are 700 graves in total in the cemetery with approximately 70 available sites left.
Each year the cemetery board and the church hold a Cemetery Memorial Service on the first Sunday in May. At this service family, friends and parishioners have the opportunity to remember the members of St. Anne’s and the community who have been interred at St. Anne’s Cemetery over the past year, and also to remember other family members or friends who have passed.
St. Anne’s Cemetery Board is pleased to announce that the first phase of the columbarium project is now complete.
St. Anne’s Cemetery Notice to Parishioners
St. Anne’s Cemetery is a closed cemetery offering interment rights only to the Parishioners of St. Anne’s Anglican Church (Byron). The interment options and their cost are:
- Full size grave (very limited availability): $ 1,200.00 (one full size casket or several urns)
- In ground cremation grave: $ 750.00 (up to three cremation urns)
- Columbarium Niche: Niche prices range from $ 900.00 to $ 1,200.00
(Space in a niche is designed for up to two cremation urns not taller than 30 cm (11 ½”)
- Scattering Garden: $400
Many parishioners also take the opportunity to advance plan their service particulars as well. If you are interested in speaking to Rev’d Val about this, please get in touch with her directly at 519-854-9998.
It is the purpose and goal of the cemetery board and the church to provide a reverent, peaceful and relaxing environment for parishioners and visitors to enjoy.